Celebrity Heroin Users
The entertainment world is filled with creative, driven men and women. Some are “flashes in the pan” while others enjoy long productive careers that span several decades. Somewhere in between, there are those truly gifted individuals who were taken from us far too soon as a result of drug addiction and overdose. In many of these cases, the drug in question was heroin.
Famous Celebrity Deaths Related to Heroin Addiction
From music to film and television, the last fifty years have seen a number of celebrity heroin overdose deaths. The heroin addicted celebrities listed below have fallen victim to the disease at a time when they were beloved by millions.
- Jean-Michel Basquiat (artist). This innovative New York artist was just beginning to receive worldwide fame when he succumbed to a heroin overdose.
- John Belushi (actor-comedian). One of the world’s most beloved comedians, Belushi died as a result of a “speedball” mixture of heroin and cocaine.
- Kurt Cobain (musician). The lead singer of the best-selling band Nirvana died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after taking a lethal amount of heroin.
- Janis Joplin (musician). The singer who most embodied the spirit of the energy of the 1960’s, Joplin died of a heroin overdose in Los Angeles while still experiencing the peak levels of her fame.
- Jim Morrison (musician). Although it was never proved conclusively, many people close to the late Doors front-man believe that he was using heroin when he died of heart failure in a Paris bathtub.
- River Phoenix (actor). Like Belushi, this young actor died of a cocaine-heroin mixture – this time outside the Viper Room on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, California.
Why do Celebrities Struggle with Heroin Abuse?
There are a number of reasons why celebrities become addicted to heroin. First and foremost, celebrities are people just like anyone else, and since heroin is a drug that does not discriminate, they are just as susceptible as anyone to the disease, just like this actor. In addition, celebrities do not enjoy many of the “checks and balances” that we take for granted in our lives. To put it another way, many live a life without limits, and are surrounded by people who would say “yes” to everything than look out for that person’s health and well-being.
Do You Know Someone with a Heroin Problem?
If someone you love has been using heroin, they don’t have to be celebrity heroin addicts to need help. Contact a professional interventionist or a heroin rehab center in your area to find out more about getting them the help they need.
Heroin Rehabilitation Directory
Help for Heroin Addiction
Do you know someone suffering from heroin addiction? Help is available. To find out more, please choose the selection that applies to you or the person suffering from addiction:
Fill out the info below to be contacted.
Repair the damage and start fresh today!